FAQs About TABC Permits

If you’re starting a food and drink business in Texas, you have probably come across TABC licenses and permits. Here are some frequently asked questions to help you understand more about these. 

What’s a Retailer?

The alcoholic beverage industry is divided into three tiers in Texas. Manufacturers, wholesalers, and retailers are the different tiers. According to the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission (TABC), a retailer is anyone that sells alcohol to customers, such as a liquor store, restaurant, bar, or grocery store. This category is further broken down to determine what type of TABC permit you need. 

How Do You Know What Type of Permit To Get?

The type of permit you need is based on your business model. You can peruse the options and determine which permit or license would be the best fit for you. You can also get a representative from the TABC to help you select the best option. 

How Do You Get a Permit?

Typically, this process involves the owner filling out an application to get the required approval and certifications. You will start by choosing the appropriate permit, downloading the application, filling it out, and starting the payment process. You may also have to place a 60-day notice that your establishment will be offering alcohol in some areas. Once you have completed the requirements, you can submit your application to your area’s TABC office. 

How Do You Get a Bond?

In some areas, you will need to get a bond before you get a permit. Before you start the permit process, you should find out if you need one and take appropriate action. 

If you want to sell liquor directly to Texas customers, you need a TABC license or permit. The best way to choose the right option is to know more about the options and permit process. 

Leave a Reply