FAQ Questions on How to Sponsor Migrating Family Members to Australia

Migration is not for the faint of heart. The process itself requires so much time, energy, and money. To make things easier for you, we collected the top of the most frequently asked questions when it comes to sponsoring a migrating family member to Australia.

Who can sponsor family members who want to migrate to Australia?

Per the Department of Home Affairs (DHA), the following can sponsor family members who want to migrate to Australia:

  • Australian citizens
  • Permanent residents

What are the most common family visas?

The following are the most common family visas:

  • Family visa for sponsoring partners
  • Family visa for parents
  • Family visa for children

Do I need to consult a lawyer if I want to sponsor a family member?

Yes, it is advisable that you consult with a lawyer if you want to sponsor a partner or a family member. Migration requires a complex and meticulous process and it’s best that you’re advised every step of the way to ensure that your application gets processed smoothly. You need to know the proper visa that your family member should apply for. It’s not simple to determine this as numerous technical requirements and legal provisions are to be considered. It will all the more get confusing if you have complex family relationships. If such is the case, then you should consult with a family lawyer as well. Most visa application issues can be avoided if only people sought professional advice beforehand.

What are the visa options if I want to sponsor my partner?

You can opt for the following visa options:

  • Partner Temporary Visa
  • Partner Permanent Visa
  • Fiancee Visa

You should contact Perth’s partner visa specialists if you want to clearly determine which of the following visas to apply for.

You should apply for a Partner Temporary Visa or a Partner Permanent Visa if:

  • You’re married or in a de-facto relationship (same-sex partners included) and your partner wants to enter or live in Australia.
  • Your partner will first be given a temporary visa (valid for 2 years)
  • You may proceed to apply for a permanent visa upon finishing the two-year period. Your relationship will be assessed. Immigration needs to be satisfied that you and your partner are still in a relationship.
  • You can directly apply for a permanent visa if you and your partner have been married for more than three years or are with kids.

You should apply for a Fiance Visa (Prospective Spouse Visa) if:

  • You and your partner are about to get married.
  • The visa will be valid for nine months.
  • Your marriage must take place within the nine-month period.
  • If your partner wishes to stay in Australia for good, your partner will need to apply for a Spouse visa right after the marriage.

Is it possible for me to sponsor my elderly parents if they want to live in Australia?

Yes, your parents can opt for Contributory Parent visas or Parent visas.

A Parent visa will take several years to process while a Contributory Parent visa will only take around 12 months to be processed. A Contributory Parent visa has higher application fees and bond requirements.

How can my parents be eligible to live in Australia?

Your parents can be eligible to live in Australia if:

  • Half of the total number of their children permanently reside in Australia
  • The majority of their children live permanently in Australia (Balance of Children Test)

Can I sponsor my children from a previous marriage that are living overseas?

Yes, so long as they are you are:

  • An Australian citizen
  • A holder of a permanent visa
  • An eligible New Zealand citizens

And your children are your:

  • Natural child
  • Adopted child
  • Step-child

For step-children, the following eligibilities must be present:

  • You are married to the child’s natural or adoptive parent
  • Your spouse is an Australian citizen/holder of a permanent visa / an eligible New Zealand citizen
  • You can still sponsor a step-child even if you’re no longer married to the child’s natural or adoptive parent if you have legal responsibility for the child and the child is under 18 years old

For adopted children, the following eligibilities must be present:

  • They should have been adopted even before the sponsor became an Australian citizen/holder of permanent visa / eligible New Zealand citizen

If adoption took place before the sponsor became an Australian citizen/holder of permanent visa / eligible New Zealand citizen, an application under Adoption visa must be made instead

Can I sponsor my relatives?

Yes, you can sponsor the following relatives:

  • Aged dependent relatives
  • Remaining relatives
  • Orphan relatives

What will be my undertakings and obligations if I were to be a sponsor?

  • You will need to sign a sponsorship undertaking
  • You will take on all financial obligations that your partner/parent/child/relative will owe to the Australian Government
  • You will provide financial assistance, accommodation, and reasonable living needs to your sponsored partner/parent/child/relative for two years.
  • You will provide financial support for childcare and English classes (if needed)
  • You will help your partner/parent/child/relative to find a living in Australia
  • You will be required to immediately report to the Australian government if you are no longer in a relationship with your partner

You will provide an Assurance of Support

Leave a Reply